Last week we had the opportunity to drive to UT for a whirlwind, but always fun trip. It seems like the trip 'home' is never long enough, but the drive always too long.
I am a huge family person and would love nothing better than to live in one big house with everyone (okay, maybe not - scratch that) But, close enough for those impromptu Sunday dinners, and no reason, just because, get-togethers. I get sad sometimes when I realize our kids won't grow up having what Jake and I had, a hoard of family that is always right there. I realize though that even being able to only take 2-3 trips to UT every year still creates the family memories, and the family bond that I loved growing up with. I am so grateful we still live as close as we do, at least we're on the same continent, and on the same half of the U.S.
I know this is where we are supposed to be, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm glad we get to create our own special family memories. I am grateful for the opportunities we have to grow closer to each other as we rely on each other for everything.
Don't know where all that came from - I've just been so nostalgic lately realizing how much I love my family. Everyone - but, especially how grateful I am to have Jake and Kaleb and baby soon to be - I am so blessed!
Thank you to everyone for this past week, it was so much fun!
I'll stop the yadda, yadda business and get on to the fun - pictures. I don't have that many pictures, and I will blame it on our camera, I love having a camera (thank you Shawna and Matt) but, well, it really doesn't take the greatest pictures. (see, you can always blame everything on something else)
We packed our car Friday night with an abundance of everything, (we might need to start using the top of our car luggage rack soon). The problem was that we were basically packing for three trips in one so it was hard to fit it all, but, we managed, and only had to leave a few things behind, which was fine, because we ended up not needing any of it.
Saturday: We planned on leaving by 4AM but Jake couldn't peel himself out from under the covers when that alarm went off at 3:30 - since he was the driver I wasn't about to push and shove, I needed him happy and awake (as much as possible) We were out the door by 5AM though, so, not too bad. Kaleb did so well and only had a few melt-downs (understood). We stopped in St. George to visit grandma and grandpa Stevens, and to take a bit of a break. Kaleb couldn't crawl fast enough, or wiggle enough. He was so excited to be out of his carseat he just crawled in circles, with no purposeful place to go, just wanted to move. After about an hour we got on the road again and went straight through to our destination - mom and dad's. Hailey and Raygan and already arrived earlier that day by airplane...can't understand why they wouldn't want to drive from TN - sheeze! It was so good to see everyone, and bump Buddha baby bellies with Hailey. It just occurred to me, this is going to be Jake's first biological nephew (if you aren't counting Scofield one's) Yeah for babies!
Sunday: We went to church, and took up an entire bench. Afterward we drove to grandpa and grandma Mc's for the traditional Memorial Day BBQ - although we got to eat sandwiches instead, in the garage, since the weather wasn't so fantastic. It was so fun to catch up on the whole family. Kaleb did very well around that many people (he usually doesn't) I think it was because either grandpa, or great-grandpa was holding and feeding him the whole time (seemingly) He really enjoyed sharing grandpa's strawberry shortcake.Monday: Memorial Day! I don't recall growing up having the tradition the Stevens family has always had, but, it's fun to make it a new tradition for me. We drove around to visit different friends and family that were hanging out in the cemeteries, and to pay our respects by leaving them a pot of flowers. We met everyone for lunch at Tony's - can't beat Tony's for pizza!
We didn't get to visit as many cemeteries since Kaleb was getting to his extremely done with everything, point. We stopped for ice cream and then took a long, gorgeous drive around and about, letting Kaleb sleep, until we met the family at one last cemetery.
EDITED - my friend reminded me of something I left out in my already too long post. There was so much going on I knew I would forget something. After the cemetery we stopped at my friend Holly and hubby Brad's place to see their "new" baby - Josh is now 3 months old - and as cute as can be - he is so smiley and fun! Holly and I have been friends for like 18 years now, I remember we used to always say we would live next door to each other so our kids could grow up together - well, that hasn't happened (yet). We don't get to see each other very often. I'm grateful for the short visits when we can. This one was only a quick stop in before we had to get on our way. I'm glad we got to see them though.
We drove back South to visit my family at Emily and Jonny's house. Kaleb was once again excited to be out of the car and have freedom of movement, nothing, and nobody was going to stop his aimless, speedy crawling. We didn't stay long since we were both tired, and the party was pretty much wrapping up anyway.
Tuesday: Thank you to Hailey we were able to go on an actual date - WOW! She stayed with Kaleb so Jake and I could go out for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel, and then we got to attend the temple -together - again, WOW! (at least we know we'll be able to go to the temple together at least 2-3 times a year)
Later in the earlier evening us girls ditched the boys and went back to grandma and grandpa Mc's for a babyshower for Hailey. There weren't that many people able to be there, but, I still thought it was a ton of fun.
Not the best picture of it, but, I made Hailey a diaper cake - much to the amusement of Jake since he couldn't figure out how I expected her to get it home (it might have also been the three huge bags of present stuff he had to load in our already overly full car).
I love making these things, I think they are so much fun!
I was going off of Hailey's original idea to do nursery rhymes in their nursery so I based it on the theme of "Hey Diddle, Diddle" (thank you to my genius sister Shawna who came up with how to get a cat in there, since all I could find cat related was Hello Kitty, and that's not so manly)Wednesday I spent another day without Kaleb (sometimes it's nice to not be a mommy for at least a week)
I went to my sister Shawna's house, picking up Michelle and her boy Lucas. Shawna showed me how to make granola - yum! (I wish Emily could have joined us)
Just because Shawna will love her facial expression in this picture, I have added it for your enjoyment...
This is a true working momma...apron on, baby attached to the front, and dealing with tax clients on the phone, all at the same time! Women are amazing muti-taskers, if I do say so myself.
I must say, my niece Sabine is rather cute...After Shawna's I dropped Michelle off and went to pick up Hailey so we could go shopping. Here n' there - this n' that - until home again home again.
Thursday: We left in Dad's truck with Raygan and Hailey to head South for our first annual Stevens siblings camping trip at Sand Hollow Reservoir. Mom and Dad weren't able to come due to the fact that they were busy with preparations for a youth temple celebration.
Kaleb did so well sleeping in the tent, seeing as he was crammed against the side of an air mattress and the side of the tent. I think it's time we get a bigger tent, no way is another kid fitting in our 'four' man...what were they judging the man size on anyway...Chinese women? (no offense to any Chinese women who happen to read this blog, not that I can think of any)
Friday: We enjoyed the dry heat by heading to the lake. I personally thought it was freezing (as is typical) Kaleb seemed to love it, just kicked back and relaxed.
We got him this swim flotation outfit wet suit. It makes him look like he's putting on body armor, or like a turtle popping out of his shell. He didn't complain too much, although we were all laughing at him.
He didn't seem to like being in the water with only his suit on, he wanted his throne for easier lazy bobbing.
Ahhh, this is the life...isn't it tough being a one year old?The wind started picking up and the clouds were looking a bit black and ominous so we decided, although we had paid for and reserved two nights, that we were going to let the wind blow us out of town. No point in everyone having a miserable nights rest when grandma and grandpa were 15 minutes up the road. We packed everything up as best we could with the wind whipping us sideways. Our tent looked like someone had dumped a bucket of sand in it. Even more fun, we had left our suitcases open so even all our clean clothes were full of sand. At least our teeth were getting polished from all the sand chewing and grinding.
We stopped for pizza on our way and headed to clean showers and comfortable beds (even with Jake's legs hanging over the bottom edge)
Saturday we just hung out...Sunday mom and dad drove in to town in our car. We went to church to hear cousin Blake report on his mission to Costa Rica. It was great to see more family and hang out at Betty and Bruce's eating fresh pineapple warm from sitting in the sun.
We had to leave, but, at least our journey home was starting our quite a few hours shorter. We arrived home late Sunday night and are still shaking sand out of bags and clothes.
I'm so glad we were able to take this trip to see the family (we missed Cam but know we'll be seeing him sooner than later. Our hearts and prayers are with him, and he was there in spirit)
Until our next trip! We love you all and are so grateful that we have the best family ever!
I had another ultra-sound the day after we got back - all is well, baby is growing as he should be and weighing in at about 2 1/2 pounds. They want to do one more ultra-sound just to be sure and keep an eye on this little guy (I really think it's just to earn more money for themselves, but, hey, I won't complain, I like seeing babies growth)
P.S. Happy birthday on the 29Th to my sister Shawna, and happy birthday on the 30Th to Jake's sister Shawna (funny huh?) We love you both so much and are glad we kind of got to be there for your birthdays...although we missed the actual parties.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Family Memories
Posted by Stevens Family at 10:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 Comments:
I may not always leave comments like I should, but I love reading your blog! I miss you guys and wish we could see you more often too. Hey, you didn't mention in your story that you saw us for a little bit on Monday! Thanks again for the baby outfits, the smaller size one fits Josh really well right now, it's so cute!
And hey, does Sabine have red hair, or is that just the lighting or something?
I was so happy to come out and visit one last time before I have a baby in tow. I had so much fun and I am excited that we will be living closer. We will be moving about the time that you are adding your next one to the family-end of Aug. Love you all!
Sounds like so much fun! I love kaleb's swim suit, I totally can imagine the turtle visual.... :D
Post a Comment