Saturday, June 27, 2009

One-der-ful

When kids hit 1 year old, it's like hanging out with a miniature drunk. You have to hold onto them. They bump into things. They laugh and cry. They urinate. They vomit. - Johnny Depp

Kaleb has been getting better each day that goes by at standing on his own for longer periods of time. He seems to want to take a step, then re-thinks what that would entail. He'll quickly sit down and crawl.

I've been wanting to get a picture of him standing. He sits down so quickly, and not having a sports mode on our camera the pictures ware all fuzzy. Here is the best attempt. Kaleb break dancing.


Today was a sun-filled day at the beach celebrating the life of a one year old. He's been out in this world longer than a round ball in my stomach.
We are so grateful to those friends who could come out to help us celebrate Kaleb's first birthday (a few days early).

It ended up being in the high 80's and a perfect day. Jake and I got there early to stake out a fire pit. They are a high commodity item, most people hold their spot for 10 hours or more before actually needing it. We had quite a few people ask us if we were staying the whole day. Just long enough for roasted hot dogs, marshmallows, and string cheese. What more could one want, a hot fire on a hot day at the beach - makes sense, right? I must say though, the best way to enjoy a hot dog is fire roasted, it just doesn't get any better than that!
I FINALLY got the s'mores I've been craving since our family camping trip. The wind was too strong for us to have a fire then so I've been staring at that bag of marshmallows ever since - mmm -


Kaleb did so well for not having a nap all day. He loved playing in the sand, and eating it. The first thing he did when we got there was pick up the charcoal bits littering the ground and not only eat one, but smear it all over his face and body. As our friend Tanya commented, 'he looks like a chimney sweep'. I must agree fully with that statement. He was as black as I've ever seen him, and loving every minute of it.

Kaleb loved the cupcake we gave him. Jake wisely said nothing when he looked a the cupcakes I made, but, I was proud of them! I dyed the cream cheese frosting blue, added a bit of crushed graham crackers on one side to represent sand. The best part, I found gummy sharks and stuck one in the middle of each cupcake. What can I say, it's a girl thing. Jake didn't see the point of even frosting them. He was sure glad I added that frosting though...even if it was blue. Kaleb devoured that cake as quick as can be. As our friend Bryan said, he not only ate it, he was nursing it. We've started a sweet tooth lover early.

Kaleb loves water. He has since his first bath (well, he might have screamed at the very first one in the hospital). He loves lakes, swimming pools, buckets of water, etc. The ocean is no exception. If we hadn't held on to him every second he would have been head down conquering those waves. Thankfully the fire pits are a bit away from the water so we didn't have to worry until we actually took him down to the water. He loved it when the waves came and soaked him, giggling for more.

We stuck Kaleb in the bath as soon as we got home. Hosed him off with the shower head first and he still turned his bath water gray. After Jake was done showering and it was my turn there was a thick gray ring coating the sides and bottom of the tub. I'm assuming that means today was a good fun day.

Here's a shloo of pictures, just a few highlights of a perfect way to spend a summer day with family and friends.

Hmmm, I looked this way when we were at the beach a year ago - how interesting.
















































I don't know if we'll be able to do much on Kaleb's actual birthday on the 30th. I do have some presents for him to open so I think we'll just do a quick but of present opening after I get home from work, right before Kaleb goes to bed. Sounds exciting huh?
I'm sure I'll take pictures and be posting again in a few days.
For now, we are all worn out and ready for a good nights rest.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family looks so great together! What a fun day. Sophia really loved her frosting but not the actual cake. Last year I did a mini cake, in a little bitty cake pan just for her. Happy First Birthday Little Guy!

Willits Family said...

Wow, a year ago I was traveling to see the big event. He is getting so big and cute. I wish I could have come out again this year for the celebration. We love you Kaleb Happy Birthday!

Brent and Emily said...

Fun! Hope you partied for us, too! :)

Beth said...

I love that Johnny Depp quote. So true. Happy Birthday Kaleb!!