I was actually able to plan and pull off a surprise for Jake...well, for the most part. I knew I wanted to do something for Jake to help him celebrate turning into a 'classic' (oh wait, that's car terminology) Being 30 is a good reason to celebrate! About 3 weeks ago I put my plan into action. He would never think a birthday was a good reason to celebrate and was just fine and happy with only the two of us sharing a cake, I couldn't let that be the end of it!
I invited our friends to meet us this past Saturday at a park for a belated Jake is 30 BBQ. It really was more of a reason to get together with some of our friends and enjoy this awesome hot weather. I was so excited that I was able to keep this a secret, until Friday night when Jake got home and told me he had to go in to work the next day - what!? Ahhh - that's not allowed! I had to tell him something was going on at 2:00 and he had to be there. Of course, Jake being Jake couldn't let it drop at that and analyzed every possibility for the rest of the night and pretty much figured it out.
I scrambled to shop and get as much of the prep work done that Friday night so I could go with Jake to work the next morning and just hang out in the area.
My awesome friend Tanya let me hang out at her place (her husband Bryan was working too - how rude!) She helped me finish up all the fruit and vegetable cutting, and even let me fry some onions in her kitchen...I hope the smell didn't linger too long.
I realize Jake would have figured out what was going on anyway since the car wa loaded with a cooler, grill, folding chairs, etc.
I went to pick Jake up and we rushed to the park. It was a rather busy day and we were glad to get a few tables in the shade.
I made Jake do all the grilling work...knew he wouldn't mind. He loves being grill master.
I provided hamburgers, hotdogs, sausages, fruit, vegetables, chips, frog eye salad (if you have to ask then you need to come get some of the leftovers). Our friends brought a few things to throw in and we had a party with way too much food. I don't think anyone went away hungry.
I am so grateful for those who were able to come enjoy this summer day with us. We truly do have the best friends ever, they really are the only reason that CA is an okay place to live.
Adam and Kevin Low, Sara and Kate Thompson
Thank you again to all our friends, those would could make it, and those who were there in spirit. We really are so grateful and blessed to have all of you in our lives. Although Jake had to hurry back to work it was a great day and we both had a lot of fun. We need to get together again real soon, who wants to plan the next party?
5 Comments:
That sounds like a great day. I am glad that you have such good friends, they are so needed when family can't be here. Hey is Jake getting a hair cut while you are visiting UT? Tell him he needs one! Tucker is going to growl and bark at him again. I am so excited to see you in less than 4 days!
i'm glad you put the pic of me smiling and not the the other one...that was really fun we will do it again soon...
I was so curious if the surprise would be pulled off . . . so close! I'm glad it turned out to be such a fun celebration. Sorry again that we weren't able to make it! Happy b-day, Jake!
I must be getting home sick because I practically got teary looking at the pictures of everyone. Man, I miss you guys!
Sorry we missed it, too. Happy belated Jake! Looks like you guys had a great time. :)
Post a Comment