I'm trying to come up with a clever name for a fall/winter season. Right now this weather can't decide if it's fall or winter.
I've been really failing with my blog updates. Now, I have a lot of pictures that I want to share.
To start; I love coming across pictures on my phone, this one brightened my day:
I have been quilting a lot the past few months. So many friends are having babies, or rather, had babies. Three dear families in CA welcomed babies right around the same time. All these babies needed their own special quilts so I got to work. The last quilt was just received so now I can share.
Welcome to the world Maryn!
Welcome to the world Alice!
This quilt really challenged me. Lots of new firsts on it! I taught myself paper piecing - and loved it! I'm too lazy to explain what I'm talking about, you can Google :-)
I also ventured out with my quilting. I only have a straight walking foot on my sewing machine which makes free motion quilting difficult. I decided to try it anyway and it wasn't too horrible. For sure nothing award winning but I was proud of it, and it will keep Alice warm so, that's all that really matters in the end.
And lastly, welcome to the world Owen! ...6 months lateI'm going to share the funny mess-ups with this quilt. I was just about to start quilting when I realized the pattern was off, two of the squares should have been switched. I was too lazy to unpick everything and redo.
Then I quilted and realized my quilting was going the wrong direction! There really isn't a right or wrong way with this quilt. But, in my quilters mind for how I had it laid out on the drawing board, there is an up and down and the quilting is the wrong direction.
I also had fun with the quilting on this one.
(and I'm sorry for the kind of girly fabric. I went from 4 girl quilts to needing a boy quilt, it really threw me off!)
My favorite part about this quilt is the label. I think it's fabulously cute. I know I will be doing this on more quilts. I can think of lots of fun simple shapes I could use.
Welcome to the world babies. Each of you are so blessed to be in the families you are. You joined some pretty awesome families. We are grateful for their continued friendship over all these years. I hope we get to see you again sooner than later.So, now everyday life:
Breahna discovered how yummy toes are. She can get both feet almost completely in her mouth. It almost looks creepy like they aren't her legs.
As the weather bounces between fall and winter I have been trying to creatively keep the boys busy inside without a lot of movie watching.
Who knew beans would provide so many hours of entertainment?
Breahna even enjoyed them. Although I had to watch her like a hawk because she likes to put everything in her mouth.
We've painted some masterpieces:
Alexander takes his painting very seriously
Alexander has been working on his photography skills. He's pretty good for a 3 year old!
The good thing about digital cameras is I can delete the 100 pictures of the wall
Here's a few pictures. The world through the eyes of a 3 year old:
Alexander is very independent. He was eating lunch when I suddenly remembered he'd been sitting in the high chair (don't ask, it's the coveted spot at the dinner table) for quite a while. I ran in to ask if he wanted to get down or wanted more food. Nope, he was set! (I'm not sure how many cookies he ate)
Breahna is happy it's 5 am ... I can't be too annoyed ...
One evening we were playing in the leaves:The next evening the boys ran outside squealing "it's snowing!!"
They were excited to have an excuse to turn on the fireplace. Breahna loves the fire. She sits and stares at it with wide eyes ... wait, her eyes are always wide
It snowed all night long. By mornin we had at least 5-7 inches
Watching the snow fall;
Next morning the boys couldn't wait to go outside and play. Thank you mom Stevens for getting the boys winter gear last year. All the neighbors were braving the slippery roads because they had to go get their kids outfitted for winter. I was happy to just pull a box out of storage...what a smart mom I have!
This is Alexander and a neighbor friend:
We didn't know last year we would need baby winter gear. We've never had to outfit a baby for winter so poor Breahna doesn't have any cold weather gear. She still enjoyed the snow though.
Breahna's sock fell off ... it must have been very fascinating laying in the snow, I couldn't get anyone too look at me.
Daddy skipped school to join us for the fun ... I mean, he had an interview and then just didn't go to class afterward ... I mean, I give up, he sluffed :-)
Then a neighbor friend took pity on Breahna and brought out her babies winter outfit.
Breahna liked the snow much better once she was bundled up
snug as a bug in a rug
Last Saturday was a great day ... just no pictures (yet).
I've ben trying to get family pictures done for a while now. The first time we had to cancel because we all had whooping cough. The next time it was way too windy. Then we were scheduled for this Saturday. Of course, it snowed. We ventured out anyway and took some quick family pictures. The kids didn't last long. I'm waiting for a warmer day so I can call up the photographer to meet me at the local park so we can get some pictures of the kids.
Jake had a surprise for me the rest of the day. I was dropped off at a local beauty salon for a mani and pedicure. The ladies at the salon were very confused. It's not your birthday? Anniversary? Any holiday or special day? Why did your husband do this for you? Just because? That's unusual. Yeah, I know I have a pretty awesome husband.
Afterward we cooked dinner together - fish tacos. I discovered these were really per request of the babysitters that showed up. Jake and I went out for Thai and then for a cupcake and hot chocolate. We were hoping to make it to the temple afterward but ran out of time. Instead we just went for a drive. It was so nice to have some quiet one on one time with Jake. Driving around talking about anything and everything. It reminded me of the hours we used to spend on the phone when we were long distance dating. I sure am blessed that he chose me to spend eternity with. He is so amazing in all he does. I am more in love everyday.
Life continues on:
Breahna doesn't sleep very well, at all. We were going to wait until 6 months to try solid food but her doctor highly recommended we try some rice cereal in a bottle or spoon fed just before bed.
We tried a few bites one night ... it wasn't love at first taste.
We've only given her a little bit here and there. The nights she did eat some cereal we didn't notice any improvement in her sleeping. Maybe we need to give her more?
Alexander and Kaleb got to tour a kitchen during one of their preschool classes. Alexander loved it. He brought home a chefs hat and wants to help out with everything I do in the kitchen. He is a pretty cute helper.
Finally, we've made it to Halloween:
Monday I took the kids to pick out pumpkins. Tuesday Jake was able to be home a little bit early to carve them before he had to run off to the church for his calling.
(if you see random kids in the background they are the neighbors boys we were watching that night)
The boys told daddy exactly how they wanted their pumpkins to look
pumpkins guts! eeeewww
The boys even picked out a pumpkin for Breahna wich I got to carve
I asked Alexander to take a picture for me since Breahna wasn't quite stable enough to sit up on a table by herself. He didn't pretty good!
"take one of me mama!" "my turn!"
The boys love fire and couldn't wait to light up their pumpkins.
Now they keep bringing me the lighter and candles asking me to light the candle. Um, no, not happening guys.
Next day was Halloween.
One of our neighbors brought over a plate of Halloween treats - yum!
Cake pop
I made the boys costumes this year. It took a lot of hair pulling and teeth grinding. I need a pattern for everything. I need a recipe when I cook and I need a pattern when I sew.
I couldn't find a Star Wars pattern anywhere. You would think this would be iconic enough to always be available, nope.
I looked up tutorial after tutorial online. Went to the bargain bin at WalMart for $1.50 a yard fabric. I wouldn't be wasting too much money if I decided to shred everything in the end.
I banged my head on the table, I cried to Jake for help understanding what I should be doing. I was sewing Halloween afternoon but, the boys got their Jedi robes just in time. Just don't look too closely at my seamstress skills!
And wouldn't you know it, after all their excitement, they didn't want to wear them. I had to bribe them that they wouldn't get candy if they didn't wear them, and carry their light sabers.
I didn't get the intended Princess Leia costume done for Breahna so instead she went as an Ewok
Jake's mom made him this outfit before we were married. Its original intention was for him to be a Ring Wraith ... that never happened, but, he still wears it every year. This year we decided he could be Lord of the Sith trying to corrupt these young Padawans, and maybe an Ewok too
Alexander decided I also needed my picture taken. Good thing we have him to make sure I show up in pictures. See, I'm here, not just behind the camera!
I opened my closet Halloween morning and thought, ' hmmm, I've got a fancy dress I wore to a wedding, what was it, 7 years ago? I'll wear that' Then I knocked on neighbors doors who had little girls and asked if they had a tiara and or wings I could wear. I found both so I ended up as a princess fairy, or a butterfly, or something.
We waited for Jake to finish at school then we went to the church for some trick-or-treating at the classroom doors then doughnuts and apple cider. We ventured out to knock on a few doors around the church then headed home. Jake needed to get some homework done but I wasn't done trick-or treating! I took the boys to a few more houses around our neighborhood. It was a perfect Halloween night. Not too cold, only a tad bit too much on the cool side... I wasn't even wearing a jacket.
I hope you all had a spooktacular evening and aren't too sick from eating all your kids candy ... I mean, how rude! I would never do that.
Fall is my favorite season. I wish it lasted longer here. My favorite part about fall is the seasonal honeycrisp apples, and even better, the rare honeycrsip apple cider ... Heaven in a glass! You cannot guzzle, you must sip and savor.
Enjoy some apples or apple cider during this season of finter and may you experience peace and calm as prepare for all the upcoming holidays




























1 Comments:
Do I get an award for reading this Whole Post!! You had a lot to tell us about :D. We LOVE LOVE LOVE our quilt. It has taken up permenent residence on our living room floor where Owen lives. It is the barrier of his "personal space" it is super cute, and luckily this is my 4th boy and I didn't even notice it had girly fabric...I am a sucker four turquoise and orange so that is all I notices and the awesome elephant personalization which we adored!! So thank you a million times :) Now you can have an award for reading this super long comment :D (now i have to go prove I am not a robot, this may take a while)
Post a Comment