It’s seems a little surreal to me that as I write this post I have a three year old. I know that isn't that old to most of you. But, every year that goes by, I can't believe it's already been another year.
Kaleb has grown so much, it's surreal to think that three years have already passed since the first time we saw his little face. Since the first time we glimpsed our little guy with his crazy mo-hawk of hair.
We enjoyed a quiet birthday for Kaleb. I made one of his favorite breakfasts. French toast made with cinnamon bread and smothered in butter and buttermilk syrup. Mmm, it's also one of my favorites.
We had Kaleb open a few of his presents. Both boys got a camping chair.
Then Kaleb got a present he picked out way back when we started potty training. Potty training died and Kaleb never earned his prize. I wrapped it up for him and he finally got to play with his special toy.
Daddy was very excited (he he he I know Jake will love this picture)
We took a day trip to Island Park. Beautiful drive, beautiful place. So many mosquitoes! Soon as we stepped out of the car we both started the windmill flapping of the arms. Jumped back in the car and headed to the closest gas station. The most expensive bug spray I've ever purchased! I still have at least a dozen bites that are really irritating me. Thankfully I haven't really noticed any on the boys. Except one on the bottom of Xander's foot, which makes no sense.
We enjoyed a picnic. Listening to birds and the wind rustling through the leaves.
The boys of course had to stop and throw rocks in the river.
A few days later we had a BBQ for friends and family. It was kind of weird to not be at the beach for a birthday party. I can't say I miss the sand though.
Thank you mom, dad, Shawna, and Raygan for helping Kaleb celebrate his birthday. And thank you for all the presents! Kaleb has been having a lot of fun putting puzzles together.
We got both boys a present I was super excited about. Last time we were home we were at my aunt's house. She had this race track in her toy room. You shake the big toy cars and they go. Kaleb was in love. I quickly began the hunt. Finding one on Ebay for 3/4 the price of a new one. Plus it had five cars instead of two.
I decided to attempt a first for this birthday party. Kaleb loves the Disney movie Cars. He loves the little red racecar, Lightning McQueen. I got the crazy idea that it couldn't be that hard to create a McQueen cake. I was right, and wrong. I learned a lot during this process.
On Thursday I baked three cakes and put them in the freezer. On Friday Jake got the task of cutting and shaping, with me standing over his shoulder dictating. He did such a fantastic job.
A little later on Friday I made a quadruple batch of buttercream frosting. I'll wait for all your laughter to die down, yes, it was way too much.
My little hand mixer barely made it through 8 sticks of butter. It think it was starting to smoke.
I frosted the cake with a thin crumb frosting and stuck it back in the freezer planning on doing all the final a few hours before the party the next day.
Saturday I made marzipan for the detailed pieces. Colored them, put them in the fridge.
A few hours before the party I pulled the frosting out and I knew something was wrong. It had separated and gone all weird. I went ahead anyway with a whole bottle of red food coloring.
The frosting took a lot longer to prepare than I had anticipated. Maybe 30 minutes before the party I'm finally rolling out marzipan and trying to free-hand details.
I wish I had printed out something I could have used as a template.
My sister-in-law helped me as I was about to cry and panicking that everyone was here and the meat was done and I was starting to curse McQueen. We went ahead with the bare basic details as well as we could and called it done and fine enough to eat.
I thought we would need more cake so I frosted a half sheet in black frosting for McQueen to sit on. I also wanted more details on this bottom cake but it didn't happen.
Buttercream frosting and 4th of July BBQ don't mix. The frosting was quickly melting.
I think I couldn't have chosen two harder colors to work with, red and black. And to look at it and think about eating said colors, yuck! But, the cake was good. There was even huckleberry ice cream on the side.
All-in-all. A good learning experience and I would for sure try again, hopefully with better results next time.
Now I am left with a black half sheet of cake that we didn't need. 16 egg yolks, and, a ginormous bowl of frosting, red and white. I shouldn't feel guilty throwing it away, but I do! I am trying to think of stuff to do with everything. So far Jake made a chocolate pudding trifle. I'm thinking Whoopie Pies, custard, and who knows what else. Bleaugh, I am sick of cake, frosting, and desserts.
On a completely different note, I finally got to use my mother's day present!
Jake got me some gorgeous tanzanite and diamond earrings, but, I didn't have pierced ears. I had to rush out and get that taken care of, then wait the mandatory six weeks before I could finally dress up and wear my earrings to church. It's hard to see them, but I love them!








1 Comments:
I learned young: it is always, always, ALWAYS worth shelling out for the no-taste red food coloring! LOL!
Post a Comment