Our newest family addition...
Alexander Mark Stevens
born Wednesday September 2, 2009 at 6:15PM
8 lbs 6 oz
20 1/2 inches longI went in for my Dr appointment on Monday the 31st. Being 42 weeks pregnant the Dr decided it was time to evict this baby...I rather agreed! It wasn't quite how I wanted things to go this time, but, whatever it takes to get this baby here I was all for it.
Mama Stevens drove in from UT Monday afternoon to spend the week and help us out.
I think it worked out really well to have one day for Kaleb to get used to having grandma around. He's a little attached to us since he hardly, if ever, has had a babysitter. Kaleb did really well (or grandma just didn't tell us how ornery he really was).Now for the gory details (you can skip ahead and just look at the shloo of pictures).
We went in Wednesday at 6am to hurry up and wait the day away. By about 7am it was decided to get things rolling and start the pitocin medicine. Just after 9 the Dr came in to shrink the size of my belly by quite a few inches. Remembering how much fluid I had with Kaleb, she drained my water slowly. I still laugh thinking about the look on the nurse's face as she watched how much fluid was being drained, "wow, I'll get more towels." and the Dr casually commenting, "Nurse, looks like we'll need suction."
All was fun and roses (with a few thorns). I wanted to last until noon before I even thought about asking for an epidural. 11:00 came around and that was the end of that...this isn't fun anymore! I am grateful to the inventor of the epidural. To each their own, but, I am so grateful to have this option. I am a wimp when it comes to pain. I kept getting told different proven facts about redheads. I think I have things against me. I was told they have less tolerance to pain, usually requiring more pain medication, they tend to bleed more, and are more prone to being anemic. The anaesthesiologist, who is left handed, commented that at least I didn't have to deal with that. Ha ha ha - actually...I have that against me too.
Now I am feeling much better, aside from the fact that I can't lay on my back without getting really nauseous. Things are rapidly progressing. The nurse realized the baby seemed to be turned a bit oddly. Dr came in to confirm he was facing posterior, or 'sunny side up'. The next several hours were spent trying to get him to turn. It didn't have any effect.
After pushing for about 45 minutes, Alexander joined the world at 6:14pm (beating his brother by 30 min). He came out facing the world with his eyes wide open, eager to eat, and a great set of lungs. He was given an APGAR score of 9 - as perfect as he could be. The Dr had to use the vacuum to give us both some help in getting him here (he has a big head). He has some blistering on his head because of that, but, otherwise, just a perfect wrinkly little old man.
It was a lot quieter of an event this time than with Kaleb. Just me (I had no choice) and Jake, and the best nurse and Dr. Last time they quickly whisked Kaleb away. I was grateful they gave me lots of time to recover (and eat!) while I snuggled our newest addition.
He had a really short umbilical cord (maybe a foot long at most). I wonder if that was a reason for his not turning.
Jake seemed to handle things better this time around and was actually able to watch all the proceedings. Except the epidural. Now they make everyone leave for that bit of fun. As my sister Shawna said "no more green husbands!"
I think I did better also with trying to relax and imagine I was on a beach in Hawaii (wishful thinking). The next time around we'll be pros!
I was really grateful they turned off the epidural before I really got into pushing. With Kaleb I couldn't stand on my own the rest of the night. It was nice being able to jump right out of bed and run a 5K. Well, be able to walk on my own power to the bathroom anyway.
Mom and Kaleb came shortly afterward to see us. Alexander was in the nursery so they only got to see him through the glass.
Jake went home that night. We wanted to give Kaleb so sense of normalcy. Another reason why I was grateful to have feeling in my legs. I was able to keep Alexander with me all night and get up to take care of him.
The next day Jake, mom, and Kaleb came to visit. Kaleb didn't seem to care about the baby. He sure seemed glad to see me though.Jake brought me the cinnamon roll I'd be wanting (yum). These past 9 months was worth it just for that! (well, almost)
I also got to visit with some amazing friends. Tanya and Hillary came to see us (well, probably more so the baby, I'm okay with that). I will say it again, I am so grateful for the friends we have here in CA. I didn't realize how good homemade banana bread would taste after having a baby - thanks Hillary!
Grandma Stevens with grand babies #1 and #3 (we're adding them up fast).Kaleb really could care less.
Here is Alexander in all his glory, or Xander for short, if I have any say. We are in love already.
Alexander and I came home Friday afternoon. Glad the fire has cleared out of the area and the smoke has pretty much dissipated. A slight lingering smell, but, it's not too bad.
Mom picked me up at the hospital (Jake was at work).
It was funny to watch Kaleb during the car ride home. With a look of curiosity, he kept peering over at Alexander, poking him, touching him. What is that doing next to me?
For the most part Kaleb has been content to ignore his brother. Maybe it will sink in when grandma leaves tomorrow that she isn't taking him with her and this baby is staying.
Kaleb was happy to have me home and didn't let me out of his sight the rest of the night. He wouldn't even take a nap. He ended up falling asleep on my lap, guess I decided to jump on the bandwagon also.Alexander seems to be happy to have more room to stretch. Mom is happy too...I can breath again!
Now comes the fun part. I was quickly initiated into the 'two is a blast' club. Last night as I glanced over to pay attention to Alexander, Kaleb dumped a large cup of ice water on us. I put him in the bathtub. He soon started crying. I go in to discover Kaleb had pooped in the tub (yet again). At the same time I hear Mom in the other room "yeeeew". Alexander had taken the opportunity to overfill his diaper. Glad Mom and Jake were here! Oh the joy that is to be had wrangling two boys - can't wait!
So far Alexander has been a really good baby. He usually eats like clockwork every two hours. He is so alert taking in the world around him.
We're waiting for Dad Stevens to show up. He hitched a ride with some cousins. Mom went to pick him up in Barstow. They are leaving for home in UT tomorrow morning. A few hours is a few hours. I'm so glad he gets to come for a short visit and is willing to make the long drive.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Introducing...
Posted by Stevens Family at 11:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 Comments:
Congrats again!
I love all the pictures, he is so adorable, and Kaleb is too, as always! I wish I could come hold Alexander while he's still a newborn, but I get to see him in November (if you are still coming out?) I can't wait!
You'll get used to having two, it's really not so bad. The fun part comes when the baby gets a little older and they start to interact and the older one likes to make the younger one smile and giggle! It's so fun to watch your kids grow up together. I didn't intend for mine to be so close in age either, but it's a lot of fun (still hard work , but worth it).
The good thing is that Kaleb won't remember being the only one, he'll always remember Alexander being around, and so he won't always have the jealousy as he gets older.
My girls fight like crazy a lot, but they do really love each other and can be so sweet. I love that they have each other to grow up with.
Anyway, pictures are cute! I miss you! I wish I could be there to help bring you meals or babysit. Call me whenever you want to, I'm always up for talking, or just listening if thats what you need! And I've been there, mine are 16 months apart.
He is so handsome! I love all of the pictures - especially the third from the last where he is smiling :) Hope you're feeling well!
Congrats Kristen! He is adorable. You look amazing. And I'm with you on the Xander. Very cute name. Hope we get to meet him soon. And I think Audrey and Caleb need a playdate.
Congratulations! I'm so glad he is finally here! You are a strong woman to go till 42 weeks! Sounds like you are already experiencing all the joys of having more than one....it sure doesn't take long for them to jump right in on tag-teaming you. Glad you have help for now. Congrats again!
Kristen, he finally made it! I love the name! I love his nickname, Xander. Very cool. And he looks just like his brother. Congrats!
Congratulations!!! I've been checking in every few days and I'm so happy to hear he has made it to the world happy healthy and beautiful. Make sure to get rest. I can't imagine what wrangling two will feel like. I'm just 34 almost 35 weeks now. WOW. I both can't wait and am totally scared.
He's so beautiful. Congratulations again. I hope you make a fast recovery as well.
Much joy for you and your family. Email when you get back into the swing of things.
Congratulations! He's adorable! 42 weeks! woah! definitely time for eviction! funny!
My niece dumped a cup of cold water on my nephew's head when he came home from the hospital too... Must be a little brother initiation thing or something.
Oh, Kristen, your baby is such a lovey doll. But you know that car pic turns my stomach in fear every time I see it. :p
I think I need to come cuddle him some more...
Congrats!! He is so cute. You will love having 2 boys, well I do. I don't know what I would do with a girl now :). I wish that I was closer to help you out. Let me know when you are in Utah and we should get together.
Post a Comment