Sunday, November 1, 2015

A Good Friend is Cheaper Than Therapy

I made this fun quilt for some friends who welcomed their new little guy who they named Boston. As I was working on it I had the Dumbo song stuck in my head and thus, because of the crazy colored elephants the name stuck; Technicolor Pachyderms
Rainbow Brite
See the shining light
Yes I'm gonna take ya to Rainbow Brite
Starlite flies
Right before your eyes
And rainbow colors will cheer you up
Magic Light
Gonna take you for a ride... 

Although none of you will really care about these next pictures I am sharing them for me since this is now pretty much my journal:
Shortly after we moved to Idaho a new family moved into our 4-plex complex. Over the next almost 4 years Sarah and I spent many days laughing together until our sides hurt. There were many wonderful friends in this area that I got to know as well. It was an awesome group of friends that buoyed me up during long days of Jake trudging through school. Almost a year after we moved Sarah's husband was done with school and was moving on to his medical residency across country. A genius friend decided we needed to throw her a surprise Rainbow Brite party. One of the awesome things about Sarah is that her favorite color is rainbow and her favorite make believe character is Rainbow Brite. All us friends decided to be one of Rainbow's friends. I chose Red Buttler. I decided to have fun with this and get fully decked out in costume:

I loved these rainbow unicorn sugar cookies I made. They just happened to also perfectly match a cake another friend brought, it was awesome.
I gave Sarah a little parting gift before I left. A funny story about the first time we met;:
Breahna was only a few months old. She had whooping cough, we were all sick and quarantined. It was about 11:00 Saturday night and we were all sound asleep. I sat bolt upright in bed because I swear someone said out loud, 'take Cheerios and milk to the new neighbors' - what new neighbors? And I tried to go back to sleep. I kept rolling this thought over in my mind. I was warm and comfortable in bed. We were sick. I fought this for at least 30 minutes before I finally grudgingly got out of bed because I wasn't sleeping. I walked by the window where I saw some new people moving in downstairs. I grabbed a box of Cheerios and a gallon of milk and without saying a word, I was quarantined after all, I handed the food to this lady and then was able to quickly fall back asleep. It wasn't until much later that she figured out I was the one who had given her the food. I didn't know that their moving truck had broken down and they were getting into town at least 10 hours later than they had planned. They had two very young girls and they weren't sure what they were going to feed them. We lived in a small college town that's primarily LDS so very little is open after 10pm. It brought to my mind a quote from Camilla Kimball: Never Suppress A Generous Thought.
There were also a few other little things that were inside jokes with us. It is excited that this familyis moving on to a new and exciting chapter in their lives but also very sad because I don't know if, or when, we'll see each other again. 
If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember; You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you -- Winnie the Pooh

0 Comments: