Monday, February 17, 2014

50% Mommy + 50% Daddy = 100% Perfect

This is a long story about a labor of love:
7 months ago we got the glorious news we would be expanding our home by 10 more tiny toes. Despite living in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment we were thrilled and looked forward with anticipation to the day we could bring another of Heavenly Father's children to experience this world.
The date was circled in red, this baby was coming on February 3rd. My belly quickly expanded as it made room for a tiny human.
February 3rd came ... and passed by:

At 9 months my doctor that had cared for me throughout my entire pregnancy suddenly left with no notice. Leaving me to find a new doctor. We had to laugh that Dr. Prince cared for me through 2 pregnancies and never delivered any of my babies. With Breahna he left for vacation a few hours before I went into labor. I decided to stay with the same medical practice and was very pleased with our new doctor. He was worried about me going over my due date. When I told him all my other babies went to 42 weeks he commented, "wow, those doctors in California are brave!" Well, one of those babies was here. There is no need to rush this baby if she isn't ready. I am ready but I'll leave that up to her. 41 weeks came and it was decided this baby needed to be evicted.
I was told to call the hospital at 5:30am on Thursday, February 13th to see if they had room for me to come in. They were too busy and told me they would call back if a room opened up. I was so disappointed. I had childcare arranged and was eager to meet our little girl. Just before 10am the hospital called and told me I could come in at noon. I will be there!
Jake dropped me off at the labor and delivery entrance and took the kids home. It was a bit strange walking up by myself. I kept getting asked, "your husband is coming, right?" Oh, I hope eventually.

Noon - I got hooked up right away with a blood pressure cuff, IV fluid drip and belly monitors for baby.
 12:40 - the doctor came in to break my water and check my progress - still 3cm. They waited to monitor me and see how I was progressing on my own.
1:50 - I was started on pitocin. I was having contractions but they weren't at all regular. They started a slow drip hoping to get regular contractions going. It was so boring just waiting by myself. The power was out so the TV wasn't working. Good thing for back-up emergency generator power so anything important was working. I had a book and movie with me but I decided they were both boring. At the same time, I was really enjoying the peace and quiet.  I made sure the nurse showed me how to unhook everything so I could get up and wander around the room.
3:30 - I had the nurse check if I was making any progress - 4cm. She upped the pit. a little more to hopefully get things really going.
Shortly afterward my mom, who drove 4 hours to help out, showed up at our house to take over with the childcare. Jake came right up to the hospital and was just in time for things to get exciting. He brought a couple movies to watch (the power was back on, yeah!) I decided on Big Fish, I needed some light-hearted humor. Not too far into the movie and my contractions were getting pretty strong and took my concentration to breath through them.
7:20 - my doctor checked my progress. 7cm - and oh boy was I feeling it. They kept asking me if I wanted pain meds. I was undecided. Jake was an amazing labor coach and kept telling me how amazing and strong I was, I didn't need an epidural, I could do it. I did it with Breahna. I was almost done. But also kept reassuring me it was just fine to get it. Jake was holding a cool washrag to my forehead. He was awesome at helping me breath and relax. At one point the nurse suggested I open my eyes and concentrate on something in the room. Really focus on all the details, like Jake! Open your eyes and focus on Jake to help you ride the next contraction. I opened my eyes, saw him inches from my face and declared, "I just want to bite you!" - hehehe - I guess I do better with my eyes shut.
8:17pm - After 10 minutes of pushing I was suddenly holding a baby in my arms. My first question; is it still a girl? Yup, she was. 4th kid and this was our best birthing experience. I think we've finally got it all figured out - doesn't mean I want another one.
She is the first baby that I didn't need help with vacuum extraction. She came out with her clenched fist up by her head which resulted in a nice ragged tear.
Soon as she was laid on my chest she rooted around until she found food and went right to town helping herself with no coaching. She stayed on my chest for quite a while and did not want to stop sucking. She was screaming mad when I tried to pry her away. I had Jake grab a binky out of my bag so the nurse could take her. I wanted to know her stats!
Evelyn Denae Stevens
7lbs 10 oz
20 inches long
The smallest of all our babies but as perfect as can be.
Evelyn because we like the name but also in honor of my grandmas sister who was only 7 when she passed away due to some illness. Denae is for Jake's "aunt" Jill. His moms cousin but more like an aunt to us. She was our mom in California.
And now comes the part where I can't decide which pictures to post ... so, I'll post them all, since this is my scrapbook/journal.
My mom came up the next morning to meet her newest granddaughter. Grandchild #22 - granddaughter #13
Jake came up later for lunch. They brought us our special 'stork meal' for lunch since Jake wouldn't be able to come for dinner. He had a class to attend.
What a romantic Valentine's day. We spent it eating tough steak, shrimp, salad, roll, sparkling cider and chocolate cake and cheesecake. All while watching a mandatory baby CPR video:
All these babies sure do look related! I for sure see the same eyes and nose:
Part 2, 'the homecoming' will be continued...

1 Comments:

Holly said...

I'm so happy for all of you guys!
She is so cute and perfect!
I love how our pattern is still intact, my two girls and then two boys and opposite for you. At least as far as we know, we'll for sure know when my #4 comes in 8 weeks!
Seeing these cute newborn pictures are making me really excited to go through all of that again soon!
And You give me encouragement whether you realize it or not, that I can do it naturally too. I really want to, and I'm looking forward to it. I know I can do it if you can! Thanks!