The most exciting news of the month ... this semester is FINALLY over! This was a really rough semester on both of us. Jake was burned out from difficult classes and this being his 3rd semester in a row. It also didn't start out too well. Breahna got whooping cough the week before he started. We were finally cleared from quarantine the day the semester started. Breahna hasn't slept well at all ever since. The nights have been long and we've both been burned out and in desperate need of a break. We won't get much of one since our two planned vacations had to be canceled but I think this 7 week break will be a much needed blessing in our family. We've all missed daddy as he spent 12-15 hour days at school and pulled several all nighters. He was worried how his grades would end up but Jake managed to keep his GPA at 3.7. I am so proud of him and all his hard work. Now he has 3 more semesters in a row then we are done - yippee! This time next year he will be graduating!
Last week I had a wonderful opportunity to escort this beautiful friend through the temple as she received her own endowments. This couple is already married and were getting sealed along with his son being sealed to both of them. I am grateful I was able to be there and for the spiritually draining day that lifted me up and reminded me how much I am loved by the most important one of all.
Jake finished his finals a few days later. The next day we loaded our car and headed south about 4 hours to spend a few days with my family.
I have a sister that lives in Austria. Her and husband get to come every summer. We make it a priority to get everyone together, usually for a camping trip.
We were able to pitch our tent in a beautiful area that I think will become an annual tradition. We still only have a 4 man tent. I think we will need to upgrade before our next campout. We sleep on a queen air mattress and put the kids around the edges. It works, until they get bigger. But oh boy, is it crowded and stuffy! Breahna didn't nap for pretty much 3 days straight. We camped for two nights. The 1st night was horrible. She didn't sleep at all. The second night was better and she slept all night long. First time she's ever done that! The boys did pretty good and we all enjoyed being outside getting dirty, throwing rocks, and especially, being with family. Mom and dad, 8 kids, 6 spouses and 14 grandkids were all present and accounted for. We were only missing 6 grandkids. It was a great big fun party.
Jake, Breahna, Alexander and I went on a hike. The entire time Alexander was singing in repeat: 'We're going on a bear hunt. We're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day! Are you afraid? Nooo! Oh, oh, long wavy grassy. Can't go over it, can't go under it. Guess we're going to go through it! ...etc."
We were right next to a small stream. There was water and rocks. Kaleb was the happiest camper of all and we always knew right where to find him.One of the days we drove a bit up the canyon to a muddy lake. We all enjoyed cooling off
...and riding in the canoe:
baby Maisy is the newest addition in our family. Her auntie didn't mind one bit holding her 24/7
mmm - hot chocolate and a fire makes any camping trip better
This girl love bananas:
This was the only family picture we got. I hope my sister (hint hint) gets me a copy of the full family picture, which I'm not in. Minutes before they took the picture with everyone I was trying to get a very grumpy overtired Breahna to go to bed. She head-butted me which resulted in a very tender bloody nose and what I was sure was going to be a black eye. After fighting her like it was WWIII and thus getting a bloody nose I told Jake he had to deal with that baby. Within 5 minutes he had her asleep. Oh that girl!
the cousins building a fairy house:
Alexander trying out daddies rock hammer:
cousins waiting for their turn to whack the pinnate:
it was filled with European candy!
daddy doling out the goodies:
mmm - I get candy. This girl loves her sweets:
The baby stealing auntie:
cousins enjoying their candy:
We were debating when to head home. Some of the family was going to stay another night. Jake and I both felt we needed to head out soon as breakfast was over. Just as we were heading down the canyon we came across a cyclist who had hit a deer. He looked to be in pretty bad shape. Jake jumped out to do what he could to comfort and help. He pulled out a green fleece blanket that we keep in our car. As he wrapped it around the gentleman's shoulders I had a flashback and realized, this is the 2nd time that blanket has comforted someone in need. Beside wrapping our own kids in it there was a time when we were living in CA that an older gentleman passed out in the street as we were driving by. It was a hot sunny day. Jake grabbed the blanket to shield him from the sun and to give him some comfort as we waited for an ambulance to come. As we were in the canyon we were debating if we should just drive the guy down to the nearest hospital, thankfully an off duty EMT showed up and was able to quickly realize this cyclist needed an ambulance. With a trained medical professional on the scene and a city worked that pulled up behind us with flashers on to help direct traffic we knew we were no long useful and it was time to head on. We left that blanket around his shoulders. I know I will be getting a new one soon as we can...along with an emergency kit in our car!
This is off topic but that ratty fleece blanket made me realize why I truly love making quilts and giving them away. As we were driving away from the accident I looked in my rearview mirror and seeing that blanket we left around the cyclists shoulders I smiled. That's when I realized why I make quilts. They bring comfort to a broken heart, or perhaps a lost or wondering soul. They dry a child's tears, they keep a parent and child warm as the parent comforts a sick or lonely child in the wee hours of the night. Quilts serve a much needed purpose of comfort, hope, love, and so much more. This is why I love putting my heart and soul into quilts and giving them away. That I may bring a bit more comfort, love, and hope into this world that so desperately needs it.
Good thing we hurried out when we did. Jake's mom and dad had come up and we were all able to enjoy lunch and several hours together:
Alexander was more than happy to help grandpa change the tires on his car:
I was fighting coming home, I'm tired of our apartment! But, I am glad to be home with my own space and especially my bed and shower. Now to clean up our camping mess - ugh - hope no one stops by unexpected in the next few days, if you do, don't plan on this place being clean. I plan on ignoring the mess for as long as possible.
And lastly; we announced this small bit of news to our loved ones:
Yup, baby #4 is on their way! It will be crazy fun having 4 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment. Thankfully we'll be moving out soon as Jake is done next year. Hopefully into a bigger place. I am technically due February 1st or 5th but I "like" to keep my babies in for as long as possible so I'm guessing we'll have the best Valentine's Day present ever. I've been a lot more sick with this baby, but I haven't had a stuffy nose! With my last three I had a stuffy nose for 9 months. All out could not breath so much mucus in my throat and lungs - yuck! I decided I would much rather be sick, it's over quicker.
Now we really will need a bigger tent!
Now we really will need a bigger tent!










0 Comments:
Post a Comment