5 years ago on June 30th, when I was 41 weeks pregnant, I showed up at the hospital at 6am to be induced. At 6pm I heard the most beautiful sound in the world; the first cries of a newborn baby entering this world. Our little Kaleb, with his crazy mohawk of hair, instantly showed me a whole new level of love. I am grateful he paved the way for his future brother and sister. I am eternally grateful he made me a mom, and a family of 3.
He is such a light and joy in our family. He has grown a lot in just the past few years as he's been able to attend preschool, speech therapy, and recently started occupational and physical therapy. He loves the ABC's, numbers and shapes. He's very independent. He's also a watcher. He loves watching the other boys and girls going down a slide or having fun. He enjoys cheering them on. His favorite song is I Have a Family from church primary. And he especially loves trains. We discovered that you can watch videos on YouTube of just about anything. They have hours upon hours of trains. He could watch all day long and never tire of his train videos. He loves living by the train tracks and gets so excited whenever he hears the whistle blow.
Because of his love of trains I knew a train party would be perfect:
I had grand plans for the perfect train cake. Sadly, my cake didn't work out so well:
My little guy needed his cake. I sucked it up and bought a way too expensive undecorated half sheet cake at the local grocery store to create a train birthday cake:
This cake was so long I had nowhere to store it overnight, and it was a hot night. I called to see if maybe I could use the church fridge. I was able to find another lady who had an extra fridge in her basement. It was practically empty, and just perfect! I had to bring all the train cars and assemble it at the party. I used Keebler fudge cookies for the train tracks. Crushed up Oreos and Graham Crackers to scatter on the board for dirt. I got some chocolate rocks that I also scattered around the tracks. The cars consisted of logs (Pirouette wafer cookies), Skittles (Kaleb's favorite candy), rocks, and circus animals. And of course, Oreos for the wheels. We had the party outside at our local splash park. It was a hot day and the frosting and everything quickly began to melt. But, it still tasted great! A white cake with white frosting (Kaleb's favorite flavor is vanilla)
It's always hot and crowded on Kaleb's birthday. I really need to be smart and for once have his party early morning or late evening at our own house.
Here's more details from the party. I didn't go as crazy as I did at Breahna's party. We especially had a lot less food. But, it was still fun and Kaleb was super excited about everything:
| All Aboard! |
![]() |
| Kaleb calls these signs doorbells |
I took Kaleb to the store to pick out the color of the tablecloth, napkins and plates. He went all out with a rainbow of colors:
I created a few signs with play-on-words. One for the top of the drink cooler and one for the silverware.
Cake time!
| 1 year old approved |
A few friends brought some presents. Alexander was more excited to open them:
A very successful party when it gets this big of a smile from Kaleb:
His party was on Saturday and his birthday was Sunday. I decided to save our presents for his actual birthday.
pause for an Oreo ... yes, ONE Oreo ... it was a big hit:
I need a sign on our door 'Beware of Baby'










0 Comments:
Post a Comment