This has been a great week, I love Independence Day, and not just for the pyrotechnics and BBQing.
Sometimes I think being born in this country makes one oblivious to what it really means to be a citizen of the United State of America. It seems the freedoms we inherited are taken for granted. Today I thank this country and it's people, who in spite of struggles to make up our minds on how, when, and where to do it, we still provide free education, free medical care, free breakfast, free lunch, and free housing to the underprivileged. We are still free to complain, protest, and change out government. Today I am thankful that Jake is getting a fantastic education without much thought or struggles, that we own a car, have a solid roof over our head, we can travel the world, we can choose whatever career path we want to pursue. And most importantly, we can go to church and worship however we want.
Today I honor all the ethnic groups of this great United States of America, because it is our spirit that makes us great.
Happy birthday America!
Wednesday the 4th Jake and I woke up bright and early ... the baby was awake so we would have been up anyway. We cooked bacon and sausage (made a double batch of crepes the night before). We finished loading the car and then headed to the church. We missed the flag raising but were able to enjoy breakfast and a fantastic program. They weren't expecting 125 people to show up for breakfast at 7am! There was barely enough food but there was lots of friendship and a great spirit of love for this country. They showed a video that shared the story behind Francis Scott Key's The Star Spangled Banner. I never knew the story before, it was great to hear ... I encourage you all to look it up. It made me swell with pride for this amazing country. There was blue grass music and singing.
We left right after to drive South and spend the rest of the week with family.
We stopped to play at Pineview Reservoir with all of Jake's siblings. It was insanely packed with people. After lots of sweet talking they let Jake only drive into the parking lot to drop me and the kids off then he had to leave. He ended up having to park almost a mile away. The boys enjoying playing in the water and despite teeth-shattering shakes and blue limbs they didn't want to get out. I stayed under an umbrella with Breahna and sweltered in the heat of the day reflecting up off the blistering sand.
We drove down the canyon to grandma and grandpas house to BBQ tri-tip and set off fireworks.
I soon realized Alexander was turning red, but only in certain spots. I obviously didn't apply the sunscreen very well. He looked like he had been slapped across the face.We spent the rest of the week at Jake's parents house. It's technically still their house although they live elsewhere and just his sisters live there now.
Hailey and her two kids Carolina and Jesse
Alexander loves his Aunt Shawna
We were able to spend one day with the other Shawna. Jake and I both have a sister Shawna, and they were born one year, and one day apart.
We took the kids to a splash park to play
A day with Shawna and Matt wouldn't be complete without a stop at Menchie's frozen yogurt.We spent half of Saturday with my parents. They grilled steaks for lunch -yum! We hurried back to the Stevens to spend time with Jake's mom and dad who were able to come up for a visit.
We enjoyed a pizza picnic out on the lawn
Dad's make the best jungle gym:
Jake's brother Dan and his wife Hannah and their girls Peyton and Oakley
Hailey made a fantastic Mickey Mouse cake that had black and blue fondant that also doubled as a great teeth dye:It was a great week and weekend with family. It never seems to be enough time to spend with everyone. We're at the point now where it's too hard to move the boys between houses.
We did make time for one stop on our way back home; my grandma: It's always great visiting with her.
Now I need to get laundry washed and put away all our luggage, until next time! Plus put away all the extra items we seem to bring home with us. That's the downside of a small town with minimal shopping options. We stock up when we finally are around the stores we need. Good thing we have a big car now!






















1 Comments:
so much fun. I love all of the pics of the boys and sweet girl! I remember meeting Jake's siblings before they had kids, I think...time doth fly when you are having fun :D
Post a Comment