Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why I Give Thanks

Love for family grows over time. As I have gotten older, I have truly been able to appreciate how important my family is to me. During my twenties, my appreciation slightly dwindled. I still knew how much they loved me, and I did love them back, but I went through that phase (as most adult-children do) where I just really didn't want them involved in every little decision I made. I wanted to run my own household.  
I had some great experiences away from home. I met the love of my life, which I am not sure I would have if I had still been at home. I inherited a wonderful set of in-laws. I have only been in their family for 8 years, but I look forward to the many more years I will be able to spend with them, and I hope they feel the same. They raised an incredible son, the love of my life. I am convinced he is perfect for me.  
I am so thankful to my parents for teaching me how important family relationships are. I really want to be able to pass that on to my children. I have great friends, whom I love dearly, but there is just something about family. I didn't realize how much they actually did for me until I tried to do everything on my own.   
I figured out that being thankful is like a math problem. The proportion of thankfulness is equal to or greater than the proportion of happiness. Having a grateful heart helps to focus on the positive parts of life instead of the negative ones, which in turn helps to create a better life. We really forget what we have in abundance when we look at our neighbors and feel that we should be blessed in the same way. Most of the rest of the world doesn’t come close to what we have in the comforts of home. Food, shelter, clothing and transportation are in great abundance.
Family and friends are the icing on the cake in life, and we should remind ourselves to tell them often how grateful we are for them.
While it is easy to get caught up in our busy lives and all that needs to be done, it isn’t enough to be thankful just on Thanksgiving. 
From Thai philosophy, Kak Sri, come wonderful words of encouragement: "Gratitude is an art of painting an adversity into a lovely picture." Remembering to be grateful through all circumstances gives us strength all year round.
Thank you to all of you. You have all touched this families life in so many ways.
I hope you enjoy this day of Thanksgiving. Whether you are blessed to be with family or not, take the time to reach out and share heartfelt love. I am grateful I get to spend this day with both sides of my family.
I am truly abundantly blessed.
I'll make sure I take pictures to be able to add in later.

0 Comments: