Sunday, May 2, 2010

Life Goes On

I have been trying to post some videos for the past few weeks but Blogger isn't letting me do so. It's very rude! The videos are of Xander crawling (kind of) and babbling and other such fun things. I do hope I can get them to work eventually.

I guess cute pictures will have to do.
Life is about the same around here. I spend my days with theses amazing guys, and I love every crying, screaming, messy, giggling, laughing minute of it.


I came across a poem today that really touched my heart. Here it is with a few tweaks from me...

What Did I Do Today?

Today I left some dishes dirty,
The bed got made around 3:30.
The diapers soaked a little longer,
The odor grew a little stronger.
The crumbs I spilled the day before
Are staring at me from the floor.
The fingerprints there on the wall
Will likely be there still next fall.
The dirty streaks on those windowpanes
Will still be there next time it rains.
Shame on you, you sit and say,
Just what did you do today?

I held a baby till he slept.
I held a toddler while he wept.
I played a game of hide and seek,
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak.
I pulled a wagon, sang a song,
Taught a child right from wrong.
What did I do this whole day through?
Not much that shows, I guess that's true.
Unless you think that what I've done,
Might be important to someone
With deep blue eyes and soft brown hair,
If that is true...I've done my share.


I feel so blessed to be a mother. Sometimes it's the hardest job and I moan "why, me!? who would choose such a thing!?" But, it doesn't take me long to realize why...
When my toddler throws his messy arms around my neck, I can only smile at the dirty handprint he leaves behind. I will miss this little hand when it doesn't fit in my palm anymore.
When the baby looks at me and bounces with glee with a huge grin spreading from ear to ear.
When the boys are giggling with each other, I hope they will always be good friends.
When the toddler finds the greatest joy just in throwing the leaves into the wind, or a rock, or anything he can find really.
When the baby cuddles into me dozing off to sleep. I will miss when he doesn't fit on my lap anymore.
Everyday I am reminded why I have the greatest job in the world and I know I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I realize Jake and I may not have much on the material side, but, we have everything. We are so richly blessed, and I feel like the richest person in the world.

Last night was one of those really tough nights that had Jake and I banging our heads (and me going home from church after an hour because I was dizzy from lack of sleep). Even after such a horrible night it doesn't take much to remind me why it's all worth it and how much I am going to miss this small moment in time. When my baby boys are men I know I'll reflect on the times I stayed up all night sitting in a rocking chair next to the crib holding a toddler who was having a hard time sleeping. I know I'll miss it and wish I could do it again. So, no, I wouldn't trade these long nights either.
I feel so blessed to be here to comfort my boys, love my boys, and hold their hands for awhile, and hopefully their hearts forever.






2 Comments:

Willits Family said...

You are such a good Mama Kristen!

I am excited to see you in a couple of weeks! Except I think I have to leave Sabine at home with Grandma, I am really sad about it :(

Love you Lots!

Tanya said...

and I cry, what a sweet reminder of why we do the things we do every day. Sometimes it is easy to lose sight of why we do it.