Monday, May 10, 2010

Chocolate [Cookie] for Breakfast

First off...a huge congrats to my sister Emily and her husband Johnny. They welcomed their 3rd this past Saturday. A daughter named Sadie. I can't wait to meet you Sadie! I don't know specifics but she was itty-bitty weighing in at almost 7lbs and 20 or 21 inches long.

This past week was Jake's birthday - happy birthday to my wonderful husband. You are such an amazing and wonderful husband and a perfect father. I am so thankful for all you do to support us, especially for working hard enough to let me to be home with the boys. Thank you for being the best man in the world in every way. I love you.
Jake was able to take a few days off work so we could take a much needed vacation.
I was able to reserve a small cabin at Lake Arrowhead for two nights.
There was a BBQ so we were able to enjoy all our meals outside. Jake's birthday dinner was fillet Mignon and corn on the cob.
For his cake I made Mississippi Mud Pie. It was good and actually made the 2 hour drive without being too melted upon arrival.

The next morning Kaleb woke up to a real treat. Daddy gave him an Oreo for breakfast. I believe this was his first one. He loved every crumb of that cookie...and then logic intervened and he also had to have scrambled eggs and oatmeal.





















The next night we did kabobs on the grill with left over steak and shrimp, and veggies of course.
I loved being able to eat all our meals outside. I loved that the loudest thing we could hear was us crunching our chips.

It was a gorgeous weekend in the mountains.

The highlight of the whole trip was the ducks. At the main local village, where the lake is, they had ducks. What I didn't realize is that the lake is all privately owned by the different homeowners so it is completely blocked off. I was hoping for some beaches and toe dipping. But, feeding and chasing ducks was even better.














Kaleb's first word was duck. Duck has always been a very recognizable thing to him. This was his first experience with real ducks. He couldn't have been more excited. As soon as he saw them gliding across the water he went running, and screaming "duck!, duck!, duck!"
He started throwing them stuff off the ground (we later realized was duck food).
This lady walking by handed him a chunk of bread. He looked at it, popped it in his mouth. Okay, that works, I guess.
We soon discovered the local shops sold a bag of duck food for .50 cents. The best .50 cents we've ever spent.
This is where we spent our two days. Making a little boy as happy as he could be.
Hearing his laughter was the best present.













He could have stayed all day. It was hard to pry him away

Saturday the fun was over and we had to get back to life.
We stopped at a park close to home to let the boys run around and to eat lunch.










It was so much fun to spend this time together as a family.
I guess I should put down the keyboard and go pay attention to the boys. They are extremely whiny and needy today.

1 Comments:

Beth said...

Wow that looks so fun. What a great get-away!