Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Legacy


I received an email from my mom and dad (they are serving their mission in France) They sent me this picture of my dad and grandma. I figured out who Kaleb looks like and where he got all that hair from! My dad still has really thick hair, so I'm hoping that means Kaleb won't go bald like his daddy. No offense Jake, bald is wonderful in it's own way, maybe God just thought you had such a perfect head it didn't need to be covered by hair, who knows. (I'm trying to back-pedal and cover for myself after typing that, I hope it worked) I absolutely love this picture! Looking at this picture got me thinking. There is no way she could have know what was ahead of her as a new mom. I look at this picture and see a new mom with this new little baby on her lap, she's probably full of a lot of the same worries I am experiencing now, the same thoughts and questions. Will I be able to teach him what he needs to know to be successful in life? I am a young mother, experiencing what so many young mothers before me have experienced. The same trepidation of being the 24/7 caregiver for this helpless baby. I am constantly anxious to know what hobbies Kaleb will have, what interests, what career? What will his personality be like? Will he follow the paths of righteousness and also marry for eternity? My mother had 8 kids: 2 boys and 6 girls. Jakes mom had 5 kids: 2 boys and 3 girls. They didn't know the end from the beginning; they experience life one day at a time. They obviously learned patience and optimism. They are amazing women, and I am grateful for them. I look at myself and realize I need to relax and stop trying to control everything that happens. Neither one of these women could have foreseen the joy that would be theirs as they raised their families. Likewise, I am young and have so much to look forward to. I know that life and parenting will not always be easy or fun. As a beneficiary of the sacrifices my mother made, I want to say "Thank You. It was worth it". I am so grateful to Jake's mom for the amazing job she did raising him, he turned out pretty well in the end, if I do say so myself. I want to follow in the footsteps set before me, of all those amazing mothers who tested the waters before me. I want to follow with faith that what awaits me will far exceed my expectations. The proof is in my past, so here's to the future that is still unknown!
Wow, all that just to show you a picture...sorry...don't know where that came from!
Everything is about the same around here. We've had to pack up our kitchen (for the second time) for more roach spraying that got done yesterday. They didn't go away when it was done two weeks ago, so, I hope it works this time. Doesn't seem like it did though, I woke up at about 2:30 AM to hear Jake with a roll of paper towels squishing babies (bugs) that were running all over. Ha ha ha - I'm just grateful it's CA bugs and not South America or Philippine ones!
We're still just twiddling our thumbs, (okay, re-phrase, we're still just praying hard) waiting to hear if Jake got this job in San Fransisco. In the meantime we came to the realization that we were praying for a miracle and not expecting it to happen. We need to pray for the miracle, and expect it to happen! We're going to start boxing up non-essential items (too bad we can't leave our kitchen packed) and we've been searching for rentals in the San Fransisco area. We're preparing for a move that we don't really know if it is happening, or when it's happening, or where we're actually going!
So, life just goes on, one day at a time. One foot in front of the other.

2 Comments:

Sarah Heder said...

What a beautiful post, Kristen. I loved hearing all about mothers just from that beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing that!

Tanya said...

I Loved your post it was inspiring. you are right so many have come before us and have done excellent we too will hopefully succeed as they did. rearing a child is such a short period of our life. in relief society a couple of weeks ago Diane Garcia brought it to our attention that this period of our life is only 1/4 of it and the rest is something else (our childhood, our retirement, our getting old and such) So really it is not a long time and it goes by so fast. Kaleb looks just like his grandpa, that is awesome!!