Monday, February 6, 2012

A Few of my Favorite Things

Life is pretty dull in the winter. We really don't do much, I find it harder to see the joy in each day. I've decided that although I don't have much to write (he he, who am I kidding? I can always write a whole page worth when I have 'nothing' to write), although I don't have anything exciting to write about, I'm going to share a few things I'm grateful for:

We've only had one day this winter that I had to leave the stroller and take the sled.


I love little boys all dressed up in their suits. Even if I take 20 pictures and still can't get a decent one. Kaleb seems to always have his eyes closed or squinting.


I love being a stay at home mom. It is one of the hardest jobs I've ever done but I truly do love it. Maybe not every minute, but it's nice to look back at a day and think about all the positive. I am grateful for these boys. They bring so much light and life into our family. Kaleb is completely potty trained, day and night - yippee! Xander is trained for the day. The hard part is helping them realize they can pause pretty much anything that is going on, they won't miss anything fun.
I am grateful that our family is gospel centered. I am especially grateful that I have the spirit to guide me through each day. Several times the spirit helps me remain calm and loving when I want nothing of the sort. Several times throughout the day I'll know how to calm a crying child, or just have the impression that I need to go see what one of the kids is up to.
A story from this past week that has me grateful for the protecting angels in our life. I very much dislike taking the boys to run errands. They like to run in opposite directions. I can strap one in the cart, but there isn't room for both, I need the basket to put in whatever items I'm getting. Then it's complete mayhem because no one wants to be the one strapped in. They've gotten pretty good about staying with me, they know they will be strapped in if they don't. Now I am tempted to put a rope around their waist when we walk through the parking lot. The other day Jake had a later day than was anticipated. I had to get a few things at the store, leaving me no choice but to take the boys. As we exited the store Kaleb took off running, ignoring my screeching to stop and hold my hand. One car swerved to avoid him while Kaleb ran face first into another truck. I am grateful the truck didn't hit him and it was only Kaleb's force that knocked him down. He was a bit bruised from face-planting a truck (you'll maybe notice a slight scab on his forehead in the above pictures) and scraped up from falling backward. I am grateful the truck driver was going slow enough and saw him in time to slam on his breaks, the back tires inches from Kaleb's legs. I'm not sure who was more scared, me or the truck driver. I wanted to scream at Kaleb but all I could do was hold him and thank Heavenly Father for protecting my family. Apparently we need to make some discipline changes when we have to run errands or are outside walking without the stroller.

2 Comments:

LizzyBaird said...

Wow that was a close call, I am glad that everything is ok. Congrats on having the boys pretty much potty trained! p.s. we make mohitos all the time now!

Lisa said...

Wow that is scary! I have problems with my boys at the store too. I have learned that if I have a shopping cart, one of them has to sit in it. No matter what. I have them trade half way through the shopping trip. And when we go out into the parking lot I have the one who listens better walk and hold onto the cart, and the other ride in the cart. I also grab a cart before I get the boys out of the car and put them into it to go into the store so they don't try to escape in the parking lot. That doesn't always work if the carts are wet (or in my case, too hot). Taking young children to the store is like wrangling wild animals! Anyway, don't know if any of that helps, but know that I feel for you, you're not alone! Good luck!