Sunday, April 8, 2012

Hope Rekindled

With a sigh of relief from both of us Jake finished up his last finals (for this semester) on Thursday. He did really well this semester. I am so proud of him and am also grateful for all the hard work he is doing. Now he can start playing his online game he's been waiting 5 years for!
We spent a quiet few days relaxing. It was strange to wake up to deep snow on Friday. But, no worries, we live in bi-polar Rexburg. It was hot and sunny by Saturday. The boys loved going outside to play in all the remaining puddles. It will be interesting to see if this girl likes to be any cleaner than her brothers. Nah, she'll probably be in a tutu playing in the mud.
Saturday night Alexander started getting feverish and lethargic. I was up half the night with two whimpering toddlers. I'm not sure what Kaleb's problem was, he just thought someone needed to hold on to him while he slept. By morning everyone was sick (I'm stuffed up, does that count?) I spent this Easter with just my three boys; grumpy, runny, and wheezy. I hid a few eggs around the apartment Saturday night. After a cold cereal breakfast (no one was feeling up to eating the waffles I wanted) we sat the boys down and shared with them the true meaning of Easter. Then we let them, with lots of help, hunt for the eggs. Most of the eggs just had silly little cheap toys in them.The biggest hit was the balloons. I also had for them some small bags of a few more fun toys and a little bit of candy. I'm really excited for the two family gifts I got. A 101 piece cookie cutter set ... mostly to use with their play-dough. Now Jake wants me to make shortbread cookies (we'll see when that happens). I also got us one of those velcro paddle ball catch things ... (makes perfect sense, right?) It will be fun when we can get outside and all play. Jake needed to go to church since he was needed for singing tenor in the church choir. He took Kaleb with him for a few hours and I got to stay home with a wheezy, snotty nosed Alexander. It seemed like such an uneventful day. As we reminisced about what our families used to do on this holiday we wished we could be hunting for eggs at the sand dunes or gorging ourselves into a food coma as we worked our way through a big Easter dinner surrounded by family. Despite everyone being sick Jake still went ahead and made fajitas for dinner. It for sure isn't a traditional dinner but it was what we had both been craving...it tasted sooo good. I even ate the onions and peppers, rather than only the meat. I needed to use up some strawberries and cream so the obvious choice for dessert was strawberry shortcake. After too many sweets, a light, not too sugary dessert was delightfully perfect.

From our family to yours, whether you celebrate or not, I hope you enjoyed your Easter. What a wonderful way to start my favorite season, Spring. It is a season that whispers to me there is hope in all life. Winter won't last forever and eventually the sun comes to warm the earth and thaw the frozen ground. I am grateful for the promise of Spring every year. Amidst any sorrows or hardships there will always be a Spring time in our lives.

0 Comments: